What is an I-765 work permit (employment authorization document)?

An I-765 is an employment authorization document also known as a work permit. The I-765 allows certain individuals the ability to be able to work in the United States legally.

Who can apply for an I-765 work permit?

• EAD applicants who have already applied for an adjustment of status
• Family-based nonimmigrants
• Citizens of certain nationalities
• Asylees or refugees
• Certain foreign students
• Employment-based nonimmigrants

Why should I apply for an I-765 Employment Authorization Document?

If your previous work permit is about to expire you should apply for an I-765 so that you can continue to work legally.
If you have submitted your immigration application and are waiting for it to be approved, you may want to apply for an I-765 so that you can work in the meantime.
If you lost your previous work permit, you should apply for another work permit to replace the lost one.

How long does it take to get an I-765 work permit?

The time frame for receiving a work permit depends on several different factors and not everyone will be approved for an employment authorization document.
If you have not received your EAD after 90 days of the USCIS receiving your application, they may issue you an interim work permit. This interim employment authorization only lasts for 240 days (approximately 7 months and 27 days)

Los Angeles Immigration Attorney

The Law Office of Chirnese L. Liverpool assists individuals with I-765 work permit applications. If you would like a Van Nuys Immigration Lawyer to assist you with this immigration process, do not hesitate to contact our office at (818) 714-2200.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »